Niacin is one of the popular detox products used by persons trying to eliminate drug traces from their bodies for the purpose of beating a urine drug test. This dilution method has grown quite popular, despite its side effects like:
- stomach pain
- burning sensation
Here’s all you need to know about the niacin flush free method for drug testing and its possible alternatives.
Table of Contents
- What is niacin used for?
- Niacin supplementation
- Niacin detox protocol for drug screen
- Using niacin to pass drug test in 24 hours
- Adverse side effects of niacin detox
- Other THC detox tips for drug test
- Alternative dilution methods
- Does flush-free niacin work the same?
- How long does niacin stay in your system?
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Final thoughts on niacin
What is niacin used for?
Niacin is one of the three vitamers of the Vitamin B3 family and is also known as nicotinic acid. It’s an essential vitamin required by the human body. People with health issues like excessive fat often use prescription niacin tablets like Niacor and Niaspan to keep their cholesterol under control.
Niacin is a vasodilator which means it relaxes the walls of blood vessels across the body. It induces a significant increase in blood flow to many areas, especially the skin, and reduces blood pressure. For these reasons, people also use niacin treatment to detox before a drug testing.
Low niacin levels commonly affect the skin, nervous system, and gastrointestinal tract. A typical medical condition resulting from niacin deficiency is pellagra, characterized by the 4 Ds:
Niacin is needed for healthy skin and normal functioning of the digestive and nervous systems. It improves blood circulation, and adrenal glands require niacinamide to make hormones such as testosterone, estrogen, and cortisol essential for the body.
Additionally, a 2009 case report in the Journal of Nutritional Medicine suggests that a coenzyme of niacin can be used to reduce withdrawal symptoms induced by long-term use of prescription drugs like opiates, barbiturates, etc. However, more research is needed to support the evidence.
People can take this vitamin in the form of a dietary supplement like niacin pills. It fulfills the need for niacinamide in the body when it’s not fulfilled by the food. The doctor recommended daily allowance of niacin supplement is 14-16 mg. Users can buy such pills from drug stores, grocery stores, or Amazon.
Vitamin B-3 is a nutrient naturally present in eggs, meat, green vegetables, and cereal grains. But when the body doesn’t get enough niacinamide or tryptophan (niacin’s amino acid precursor) from the foods you eat, it can cause a niacin deficiency.
Niacin detox protocol for drug screen
A word to the wise; none of the niacin drug test detox methods are backed by science. The methods to pass a drug test discussed below are not evidence of any medical research, and users should keep this in mind at all times.
Niacin pills are often used by people to clear the body fat cells of marijuana (weed) traces. One article states that niacin increases the rate at which the human body breaks down fat and flushes it out through urine and sweat.
However, this drug test passing method’s effectiveness depends on the person’s age, body weight, height, fat and energy metabolism rate.
Considerations before taking niacin
Pregnant women should not take niacin for defeating urine drug test as it can harm the fetus. Even nursing women should avoid this drug test detox method.
In case you have any pre-existing health condition like diabetes, liver problems, kidney damage, cardiovascular ailments, or gallbladder issues, you need to steer clear of niacin drug test cleanse. Consult your doctor or pharmacist before taking such supplement pills.
Taking niacin with food can reduce skin flushing, especially if you consume a small dosage of aspirin (325 mg) afterward.
Using niacin to pass drug test in 24 hours
The niacin flush method supposedly helps eliminate the metabolites of drugs from the system, so it’s often used in attempts of beating a piss drug test. This method requires taking a niacin pill with at least two glasses of water on a day before the urine test.
When trying to get a negative urine drug test result, it is vital to take the niacin pills correctly. The following directions were provided by people on Reddit:
- Take four 500mg niacin tablets in a day, each in a gap of at least 6 hours. (Experts do not recommend higher doses.)
- Consume one 500 mg pill with two glasses of water in the morning and another one after 6 hours. Repeat accordingly.
- Do not take more than 2000 mg (2 grams) in a day as RDA for niacin is much lower than that.
Adverse side effects of niacin detox
Users tend to go overboard when trying to get a negative drug test. The Centre for Disease Control and Prevention in September 2006 reported 92 calls regarding exposure to niacin, some by people trying to pass a drug test. It included calls due to dosing errors, unintentional pediatric exposures, and even attempted suicides.
A few individuals used niacin to mask a urine drug test. Here are a few side effects that are reported because of a daily overdose of niacin in detail:
- Facial flushing: This is a mild side effect where a high niacin dose can cause your face to turn red. You may experience a burning sensation and discomfort, which may subside with reducing the dosage. The effects of the flushing reaction last 15-30 minutes after taking the pill.
- Increased blood sugar: Taking high doses of niacin daily for marijuana detox can cause insulin resistance, resulting in high blood glucose levels and worsening diabetes. In severe cases, it can lead to organ damage.
- Blood-thinning: If you are on anticoagulants (blood thinners), niacin dosage can increase the medicines’ effects. Sustained release of niacin can induce a higher risk of bleeding even on minor bruises.
- Niacin toxicity: High doses of niacin can cause toxicity due to sustained release for extended periods. A study published in Annals of Emergency Medicine talks about the adverse effects of niacin in 4 cases, where “two cases had isolated skin manifestations, whereas the other two presented with life-threatening manifestations, including nausea, vomiting, dizziness, hepatotoxicity, metabolic acidosis, and hypoglycemia evolving into hyperglycemia.”
- Niacin overdose: Overdosing on niacin tablets to pass a drug test can lead to life-threatening conditions like acute liver failure. This may further affect the clearance of lactic acid from the blood causing lactic acidosis. Higher doses of niacin are also known to cause severe ailments like cerebral hemorrhage, ischemic stroke, hepatic dysfunction, heartburn, glucose intolerance, stomach ulcer, etc.
The repercussions are even more fatal in patients with underlying health conditions. A study published in the Journal of the American Pharmacy Association (JAPhA) reported the side effect of niacin use in an HIV patient to mask THC use in a urine test.
The patient developed marked elevations in his liver enzymes which alleviated after discontinuation of the drug.
“Because of the patient’s self-reported use and discontinuation of niacin (tablets), the Naranjo Adverse Drug Reaction Probability Scale demonstrated a ‘definite’ relationship between the development of hepatotoxicity and the ingestion of over-the-counter sustained-release niacin.”
It’s also important to note that niacin supplements can interact with blood thinners like warfarin, heparins and increase the risk of bleeding. As per the NIH, experts advise against consuming large doses of nicotinic acid for people taking statin (cholesterol-lowering) medication.
Other THC detox tips for drug test
Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), a compound of marijuana, is an extremely fat soluble drug, so it’s stored in the body’s fatty tissues when consumed.
THC-COOH stays in body fat tissues for about 30 days, after which cannabis residues enter the bloodstream and finally come out as urine. Niacin is rumored to accelerate fat burning process to eliminate the drug metabolites from the system so that a person can pass the test. Here a few directions to get better results from niacin weed detox:
- Abstain from drug use: While you are on the niacin pill, avoid taking drugs for at least 3-4 days. It may increase your chances of getting a negative drug test result.
- Avoid fatty foods: Staying off fatty foods while on the detox can reduce the flushing associated with niacin. Also, avoid drinking alcohol during this time.
- Drink lots of water: Drink a large amount of plain water or water with electrolytes. Consume two glasses of water with each 500 mg pill. Urinate frequently to expel the drug residues from the system.
- Water intoxication: Make sure you don’t drink too much water since it can upset the body’s electrolyte balance. This condition is characterized by a feeling of nausea, vomiting, and even seizures, coma, or death in severe cases.
- Two pills on the test day: Consume two niacin pills 500 mg each on the test morning at a gap of 6 hours each. Remember, the gap is essential to avoid any dangerous side effects like liver toxicity.
- Time of effectiveness: The effect of niacin pills lasts for 6 hours or less. Therefore, make sure you wait before taking another 500 mg pill.
- Extra B12 supplements: Excess water intake can produce clear urine. Take vitamin B12 pills to ensure the urine is yellow in color and natural for the urine sample to be accepted. Also, consume at least 2 grams of creatine monohydrate to maintain the urine sample’s right creatinine levels.
Through niacin tablet detox, the residues are permanently excreted out of the body through urine and sweat, which may lead to negative urine drug tests. Niacin detox is also touted to clear off coke and THC metabolite for a blood test through its vasodilation effect. However, this method won’t help you in passing a saliva test.
It’s essential to note that there is no scientific evidence to back these claims. The common understanding is that although niacin does induce the breakdown of fats, it does not affect body fat cells that also store THC metabolites.
Alternative dilution methods
Detox drinks (recommended)
People often use detox drinks as more reliable means of dilution. The ingredients may include anything from cranberry juice and Vitamin B to activated charcoal.
Ready-made dilution products like Mega Clean detox drink and Toxin Rid can also help you pass a drug test. They work as a diuretic, unlike niacin, and induce an urge to urinate frequently. These products are designed to work based on toxin exposure in your body. Also, they work faster as compared to niacin tablets.
Does flush-free niacin work the same?
Regular niacin, also known as nicotinic acid, is a quick-release treatment. It may cause initial flushing and some temporary discomfort, but the immediate-release niacin helps flush out the drug residues effectively with a much lesser intensity of the side effects.
This niacin therapy method is also known to reduce the body’s high cholesterol levels and expand the blood vessels to ensure easy blood flow.
This slow-release method exposes the liver to niacin for a more extended period and may disrupt its function. Therefore, you need to be extra cautious while using these pills to avoid the overdose side effects like liver failure. The health problems happen more often if you use the flush-free method.
How long does niacin stay in your system?
Niacin has a half-life of about 20-45 minutes. Half-life refers to the time it takes for substances to reduce half of their initial quantity in the body. Accordingly, niacin stays in the system for around two to four hours.
This time depends on niacin dosage; thus, you need to take the pills with the gap mentioned earlier. However, it may take a day or two for its metabolites to leave your body altogether.
Frequently Asked Questions
|How long does it take niacin to get into your system?|
|You need to assign one day for the niacin detox and take four pills in the gap of 6 hours on that day. This detox should be several days ahead of the test for the niacin pill to clean your system.|
|How fast does niacin clean your system?|
|Niacin takes four hours or less to cleanse your system from the THC metabolites. This time depends on the toxin exposure and frequency of the drug usage.|
|How many niacin pills do I need to take to pass a drug test?|
|Niacin pills are a popular drug detox method. Each of these pills’ strength is 500 mg, and a dose of 500 mg to 2 grams (1 to 4 tablets) is used to cleanse the body of drug residues. On the test day, you need to take four pills with a gap in between to avoid unwanted side effects.|
|What does “flush-free niacin” mean?|
|Flush free or no flush niacin comes in the form of inositol hexanicotinate. Its name derives from the ability to avoid flushing, a common side effect of regular niacin. This form of niacin can reduce or prevent flushing reaction as the vitamin gets broken down into niacin metabolites at a slower rate.|
|Can I use flush-free niacin to pass a drug test for weed?|
|The flush free or no-flush niacin is not effective in cleaning out weed residue from your system compared to the regular niacin tablets. Due to the slow method, extended-release niacin increases the risk of liver toxicity.|
|What is the safe dose of niacin detox?|
|The NIH fact sheet for health professionals provides information about all things niacin. Users should go through it beforehand to understand the vitamin and its effects. When it comes to facial flushing, the fact sheet states that typically 30-50 mg or more causes it.|
|How long does niacin flush last?|
|Large doses of nicotinic acid cause facial flushing, i.e., redness on the skin accompanied by burning sensation and itching. Skin flushing is a common side effect of the niacin flush method. It causes redness on the face, which may last up to 15-30 minutes.|
|Are there any niacin flush benefits?|
|In terms of niacin flush benefits, this vitamin helps maintain healthy “good” (HDL) cholesterol levels and lowers down LDL (“bad cholesterol”) levels. It’s also used for the prevention of primary and secondary coronary heart disease. Furthermore, it decreases the risk of a heart attack when used safely.|
Final thoughts on niacin
To sum it up, there is no substantial evidence in favor of niacin flush free that it can help pass a marijuana drug test. Some might say that the evidence available until now is only anecdotal and can’t be relied on so much.
The reviews regarding the effects of niacin were mixed owing to the side effects of its excessive usage.
We advise you to use it at your own risk if you have to and take small doses. Use it responsibly and in the right way to get effective results. Niacin might help you pass the test and reduce the strength of side effects. Alternatively, you can opt for dilution methods that offer guarantee and safety.