Hair follicle drug test is becoming an increasingly popular method of drug testing thanks to the high accuracy and efficiency this drug use test provides. Compared to urine drug test, hair follicle drug testing is almost impossible to cheat or fake.
There’s only a handful of reliable methods effective enough to remove the traces of illicit substances from your hair follicles and let you pass drug tests. So, if you’re interested in how to pass a hair follicle drug test, just keep scrolling or jump to Aloe Rid review (best way) if in a hurry.
If you’re curious what the heck is hair drug test and why it has a bad rep, right below we shed light on various myths, misconceptions, and facts regarding how to pass a hair drug screening. We’ve also included an FAQ section with short answers, to better inform you on how to pass a hair drug test guaranteed.
Hair Follicle Drug Test Myths
There are a lot of myths and misconceptions surrounding hair follicle drug testing. And while some may sound like a good idea at first but land you into trouble later, other myths may turn out to be true.
No Hair Follicles, No Test?
One popular myth, or should we say supposed way to pass hair follicle drug testing, is to shave your head (assuming hair grows on it). If there’s no hair on your head, the technicians won’t have a way to collect hair sample required for hair drug test. So, if you clean shave hair on your head, you will remove the drug metabolites in your hair, along with the hair itself.
You’re not the first one to come up with the method of clean-shaving your head to pass a drug test. Appearing with a cleanly shaved head right on the day of hair follicle drug test sounds a little too convenient, right? Almost like you’re trying to hide something.
Not only does it cause suspicion, but this method is also quite ineffective since the lab can test your body hair for drugs. Lab technicians need to take a 1.5 inches hair sample of any body hair you have, including the ones on your chest and armpit1.
One Hit Loophole
Number two most common myth or misconception is that hair follicle drug test isn’t good at picking up low doses or infrequent use. This myth is somewhat true, but its legitimacy depends on several factors. Drug tests have something called a “cutoff level” – a value that represents the level of drug metabolites in the hair sample you provided2.
If the metabolite levels found in your hair sample do not exceed the cutoff level, the hair follicle drug test result is considered negative, which means you’ve successfully passed.
On the other hand, if the metabolite levels exceed the cutoff value, you’ve failed the test.
Metabolite levels depend on how frequently you use drugs, but also how potent the drugs are. You might be an infrequent marijuana smoke connoisseur, but if you use big doses or highly potent drugs, your metabolite levels might still be high.
GNC Detox Shampoos
The last myth number three we’ll discuss is that any hair shampoo can cleanse your hair of drugs. There are many detox shampoos available on the market, including your local major pharmacy or retail store. You can find a wide variety of such shampoos at Walmart, GNC, Walgreens, etc.
Though advertised as hair cleanse, most of these cheap brands lack the potency to penetrate the hair shaft and wash out the drugs within. That’s why we strongly recommend that you stay clear of them.
If you’re looking for a best hair detox shampoo, we recommend to buy one from your local head shop, or a specialized online shop. Obtaining a high-quality follicle cleansing shampoo from the official store is the best way to get optimal price and quality.
Hair Follicle Drug Test Facts
With hair drug testing myths debunked, there are several hair follicle drug test facts important for you to know.
Hair Strand Testing is Accurate
Hair follicle drug test is a two-step testing method, which features higher accuracy when compared to urine or blood testing. Step one includes testing the sample of hair for presence of drugs, and if the test returned positive results, the sample undergoes a second test.
Step two is test using gas chromatography coupled with mass spectrometry, which is very sensitive when determining the metabolite concentration levels in your sample of hair. It’s so sensitive that it can detect one trillionth of a gram of drug traces into one-thousandth of a gram of sample. This makes hair drug tests highly accurate.
It Has Longer Detection Window
In fact, hair test’s accuracy isn’t its main selling point – the long detection window is. Hair follicle drug tests have an incredibly long detection window, as they can detect substances for three months or sometimes even years after use. Drug residues, especially organic ones like THC, can survive and be detected inside the human hair for an indefinite amount of time.
However, despite providing a years-long detection window, 90 days time frame is typically referred to as a standard for hair follicle drug test. This is because technicians only need to take about 1.5 inches sample of hair for testing, which is approximately 90 days of hair growth3.
You Need Special Hair Follicle Shampoo
Since drug metabolites persistently stay in your hair for a long time, you’ll need specially formulated shampoos to wash them out. Your everyday, regular shampoo can clean your hair, but it isn’t potent enough to penetrate the hair shaft and remove the drug toxins.
There are many different hair follicle shampoos on the market, especially on the shelves of pharmacies and department stores. Instead of relying on them, it’s important to do online research and choose reputable brands as a working way of passing a hair test.
We’ve already done that for you and found best detox shampoos that have enough power to flush out drug metabolites from your hair follicles.
Best Hair Detox Shampoo Reviews
You want all the toxins removed from your hair to make sure you pass hair follicle drug test. The only way to achieve this is by using a reputable hair follicle shampoo as part of a structured detox process (especially for a heavy marijuana smoke enthusiast).
Any brands with concealed or obscured ingredient lists, proprietary or not, should be avoided. Good hair follicle shampoos should feature a proven formula with listed ingredients, regardless of its proprietary status, and should be made by a reputable manufacturer.
Nexxus Aloe Rid Detox Shampoo
Aloe Toxin Rid is top rated and #1 recommended detox shampoo that will thoroughly wash out the toxins from your hair without damaging it. Please note that there are two versions of Aloe Rid, of which the older version does a much better job at detoxifying your hair.
Aloe Toxin Rid is a medical-grade shampoo, designed to properly penetrate the hair follicles and wash out the toxins and free radicals. These cleaning effects are achieved through the use of proven ingredients, like propylene glycol, which has enough penetrative power to remove drug residues from hair.
Keep in mind that using Aloe Toxin Rid alone works best if you’re a light or intermediate drug user. Chronic and heavy drug users should use it together with Ultra Clean (see below) or first take a detox pill course if they have a few days before they need to pass a hair drug test.
Alternatively for heavy marijuana smoke enthusiasts, Aloe Toxin Rid is the centerpiece of Macujo Method, which we’ll discuss later in this article. As a part of a structured cleanse method, Aloe Rid has enough power to remove any illicit substance from your hair, including THC metabolites, and you’ll pass a drug test for marijuana.
Ultra Clean Shampoo
In that case, Zydot Ultra Clean is the best budget option, and it still has an excellent pass rate, especially if preceded by a good detox course such as Toxin Rid from Aloe Rid’s makers, or as part of Jerry G method (see below). It’s also the best hair follicle shampoo available in Walmart.
However, unlike other undistinguishable, low-quality shampoos you’ll find at Walmart, Ultra Clean works wonders when it comes to cleaning, purifying, and conditioning your hair.
Thanks to its proven ingredients, Ultra Clean can dissolve any illicit substance found in your hair. It also removes impurities and hair products from the strands, while conditioning the hair at the same time. The result is drug-free hair, with more controllable and manageable tangles.
Though Zydot penetrates the hair shaft, it’s less effective at toxin removal than Old Style Aloe Toxin Rid. The shampoo alone lacks the necessary potency to bring the concentration of the metabolites below the cutoff level for regular and heavy users, which is why it’s best used in conjunction with Aloe Toxin Rid.
It’s also worth noting that Zydot Ultra Clean hair follicle shampoo also forms a base of structured cleanse method – The Jerry G method. It’s a highly effective cleansing method which we’ll discuss later.
Hair Razor Detox
Hair Razor shampoo kit is advertised as an aggressive way of metabolizing the metabolites in your hair. Its unbelievable cleansing powers are achieved by a proprietary combination of metabolizing and penetrative agents.
This brand is nowhere to be found on Amazon, or any other e-commerce website, which is usually a good thing. However, we couldn’t find any information about the brand, other than that provided by the manufacturer’s website.
Upon opening the manufacturer’s website, we found that it’s filled with flashy texts, false claims, and fake reviews. The manufacturer claims that a proprietary formulation, which has four steps, completely breaks down drug metabolites in your hair.
They also state that the process has to be repeated several times, depending on what drugs you used. Meth, for example, requires only one time, while you’ll have to repeat the process ten more times if you used cocaine. That’s why the manufacturer advises that you go through their online consultation to determine the method you should use effectively.
Overall, we honestly believe that Hair Razor shampoo isn’t going to help you pass a hair drug test. The cleansing claim seems fake, the proprietary formula features unknown ingredients, and we haven’t found a single warm opinion regarding this brand, in the stoner community. Not recommended for purchase.
Total Detox Friend
Much like Hair Razor, Total Detox Friend is another shampoo of questionable quality, and we concluded that it’s not worth the time, nor the money.
We like to collect the data before we test the product, and during our inquiries, everything piece of information about this brand seemed legitimate. Their website claims that the shampoo was formulated by three forensic scientists with over 15 years of experience in the field. Every piece of information on the professionally-looking website seemed competent and credible.
Mercury poisoning is a severe medical condition with severe neurological, cardiovascular, and reproductive consequences. Removal of mercury from a living organism is a complicated procedure, which may include surgical interventions and intensive medical care.
After stumbling upon such claims, we decided to look for clues within the stoner community, where we found no words of appraisal. Though most websites praise Total Detox Friend, user experience is different, with more than a good share of negative opinions and bad reviews.
Overall, due to the bad reputation, this brand has among stoners and drug enthusiasts, we at MedSignals don’t recommend using this product when trying to pass a hair drug test. It’s a low quality product with aggressive advertising. Not recommended for purchase.
How to Pass a Hair Follicle Drug Test in 24 Hours
If you’re running low on time, these two structured methods can detoxify your hair on short notice to pass a hair follicle test. Both methods are highly effective, with little chances of failing drug tests. They include several steps you should take, and repeat, to remove the toxins from your hair effectively, which will let you pass a hair drug test.
The Macujo Method is a seven-step method that includes a total of four products:
- Heinz vinegar
- Clear and Clean
- Old Style Aloe Toxin Rid shampoo
- Tide laundry detergent
Step one is to dampen your hair, before massaging Heinz vinegar into your scalp. Slightly wet hair will distribute the vinegar more effectively, spreading it evenly through your hair. Massage it into your scalp, keeping the vinegar away from your eyes. The use of goggles is strongly recommended to prevent chemicals from entering your eyes.
Afterward, you should add Clear and Clean shampoo to the mix, massaging it into your scalp. This might burn your scalp a bit. Wipe any excess chemicals running down from your hair, and clean all exposed skin, like your ears, eyebrows, and forehead. Put on a shower cap, and let it sit for approximately half an hour.
Step three is to remove the shower cap after about 30 minutes and rinse your hair thoroughly with lots of warm water. Then wash and rinse your hair twice, using Old Style Aloe Rid detox shampoo.
Once you’ve completed all the previous steps, use a small amount of Tide Liquid Laundry Detergent to wash it all away. Use a lot of warm water to thoroughly rinse everything out, followed by a hair conditioning.
Jerry G Method
Jerry G method is somewhat different, and much harsher on your hair, but it’s a budget option (if you’re using only Ultra Clean shampoo). It consists of several steps with five different products.
Step one is bleaching your hair with peroxide bleach and dye it back to your natural color, using a permanent dye that contains ammonia.
Secondly, you should repeat step one after ten days. If you’re 24 hours away from having to pass a hair drug test, repeat the step once again immediately. After every step, you should thoroughly wash your hair using Toxin Rid Shampoo (recommended).
The last step is done on the day of hair drug test, and you should wash your hair with baking soda paste. Rinse the paste out with Toxin Rid detox shampoo, followed by a wash with Zydot Ultra Clean Shampoo.
Both the Mecujo method and the Jerry G method are highly effective cleansing routines to pass a hair follicle test. However, they’re also highly intrusive and damaging to your hair. It’s important that you’re extremely careful when using these methods, as they involve potentially toxic chemicals.
Hair Follicle Drug Test Cutoff Levels
5-panel hair follicle test is the most common hair test performed by the lab. The panel number, which in this case is five, indicates the number of drug classes the hair follicle drug test detects. Before you take a hair test at the lab, you can screen yourself with a home test kit. In most cases, 5-panel hair drug test screens for:
- Amphetamines include amphetamine, methamphetamine, MDMA (Ecstasy), MDA and MDEA, which is also known as Eve. Amphetamines usually come as crystals, chunks of white to slightly yellow powder, except Ecstasy, that comes in a tablet form. For amphetamines, both the Screen Cutoff and the Confirmation Cutoff values are 300 pg/mg.
- When it comes to Phencyclidine or PCP, the Cutoff values are 300 pg/mg. This substance was used in the 1950s for surgical procedures since it has trance-like sedative and anesthetic effects. However, it also has a high rate of adverse side effects.
- Cocaine is a stimulant drug, usually distributed as a white powder often diluted with amphetamines to increase its quantity and addictive potential. Its metabolites are Benzoylecgonine, Cocaethylene, and Norcocaine, with cutoff values of 500 pg/mg.
- Marijuana (THC and its metabolites) is a mind-altering psychoactive drug. It’s a product of a cannabis plant, with over 400 chemical compounds, and one of the most commonly used drugs. Its main psychoactive compound is THC, and all drug tests, including hair follicle drug test, detect THC metabolites present in hair samples. The cutoff values for THC traces are 1 pg/mg for a screening cutoff level, and 0.10 pg/mg for confirmation cutoff level.
- Opiates include a vast number of drugs, including morphine, heroin, Oxycodone, and many others. Morphine and Codeine are opiates derived from poppy plants that are usually prescribed painkillers. Heroin is a highly addictive drug derived from morphine that affects the brain’s pleasure systems. Oxycodone, Hydrocodone, and Hydromorphone are typically prescribed as pain-relieving medicine. Drugs from the opiate family have a cutoff level of 200 pg/mg.
|Drug||Screen Cutoff||Confirmation Cutoff|
|Amphetamines||300 pg/mg||300 pg/mg|
|PCP||300 pg/mg||300 pg/mg|
|Cocaine||500 pg/mg||500 pg/mg|
|THC||1 pg/mg||0.10 pg/mg|
|Opiates||200 pg/mg||200 pg/mg|
There are many questions associated with hair follicle drug testing and cleanse products that can help you pass a hair follicle test. We tried answering some of the frequently asked questions:
- How far back does a hair follicle test go to detect drug use?
- Drug metabolites can stay in your hair for a very long time – longer than 90 days. This means that the test can detect history of drug use in the last several years, depending on the length of your hair and how fast your hair grows.However, to take the sample, the lab takes only about 1.5 inches sample of your hair from the scalp, which is approximately 90 days of hair growth. In other words, the lab will use the hair follicle test to look for any signs of drug use within the last 90 days time frame.
- How to pass a hair drug test with home remedies or naturally?
- The internet is flooded with home DIY remedies and natural cleanse methods that supposedly let you pass a hair follicle test. Some of these methods include shaving, cutting, dying your hair, washing it with vinegar, lemon juice, detergent, and bicarbonate of soda.Sadly, none of these methods work for drug tests, as they lack the potency to properly penetrate the hair shaft and wash out THC metabolites from your hair. Resorting to any of these DIY methods as means of detoxifying your hair will only result in a failed hair drug test.That being said, two known DIY methods have a high chance of success when it comes to hair cleansing. Both of these methods, Macujo Method and Jerry G Method, are highly praised and well-structured cleanse means. These are the only two working DIY methods with enough power to wash out drug metabolites from your hair properly and let you pass drug tests.
- How to read hair follicle test results?
- When you receive your results sheet, it’s important that you know how to read them. The Specimen ID, along with the collection and hair test dates, is found at the top of the document.Underneath, you’ll see a chart with the drugs tested, and a positive or negative result for each drug. You’ll also see a Screening Cutoff Level, which displays the cut off levels from the first test that detected the presence of drugs.Next to it would be the Confirmation Cutoff Level, which shows the cut off levels of GC/MS, the confirmatory test.Underneath that, you’ll most likely see a box that indicates the test result, listing any drugs that came positive in the sample, along with quantities found. Keep in mind that positive results suggest that the identified drug has higher concentration levels than those listed in the Confirmation Cut Off Level.
- How to pass a hair drug test for CPS?
- Drugs and drug use are still illegal, according to federal law. Regardless of your state law, Child Protective Services views drug use by a member of the child’s household as an unsafe environment for a child. Based on that single fact, the CPS may remove the child from an unsafe environment.If you’re a drug enthusiast, please take the CPS seriously, as they will take your child if they deem necessary. Keep in mind that the CPS caseworker has the legal right to ask you to take a hair drug test, which you have the right to decline. Though refusing to take a drug test is no grounds for child removal, negative implications might be drawn.However, if the CPS caseworker shows with a court order, you’re legally bound to submit to a drug test of their choosing. Preparing for a hair test ordered by the CPS is the same as with any other hair testing. Do be careful when dealing with CPS, as they will presume you guilty as accused.
- How much does a hair drug test cost?
- Hair follicle drug test prices range from only a few bucks to several hundred dollars. Several factors are determining the price of a hair test.The first thing you should know is that the hair follicle testing is more accurate than urinalysis, and thus more expensive.The factor number two which affects the price is the drug panel; more comprehensive drug tests are usually pricier.And the third factor is the test’s application, and depending on whether it’s an at-home drug test kit or a lab test, it dramatically affects the price.At-home kits are usually more affordable, and though it rarely happens, they may return false positives due to the contamination of the sample.Lab tests, on the other hand, are more expensive and more comprehensive, with almost no chance of sample contamination. Given a choice, it’s important to always opt for a more comprehensive and accurate laboratory testing.
- Can I use lice treatment to pass a hair test?
- Lice removal shampoos are an effective way of killing lice, and getting rid of lice infestation in your hair. The components of these hair and scalp products paralyze and kill lice using different naturally occurring insecticides, like pyrethrin.Most of them are effective after only one time, requiring a repeat process after ten days to kill off any lice that may have survived. Lately, the stoner community forums are buzzing about lice removal shampoos being effective for detoxifying hair.Any scientific research does not verify these statements, and we’re not convinced in the ability of lice treatment to act as a hair detox. We strongly advise that you use proper detoxifying products to cleanse your hair.
- Can a relaxer help you pass a hair drug test?
- Yes, it can, but only to an extent. Hair relaxers or hair straightening products are primarily used by African American women to straighten their hair.Hair relaxers affect the stability of drug compounds in your hair, and their concentrations were significantly decreased after only one time. The effects of hair relaxers on the stability of drug compounds have been studied and supported by scientific studies.They affect all the drug metabolites, except THC, which is notoriously hard to remove from the hair strands. It’s strongly advised that you combine hair straightening methos along with high-quality detox shampoo to remove marijuana from your hair. Please do keep in mind that the effects were observed in vitro, and their real-life applications weren’t scientifically proven.
Hair detox shampoos are the correct answer to the question of “how to pass a hair follicle drug test?“. We strongly recommend using Old Style Aloe Rid detox shampoo together with Zydot Ultra Clean, as they’re both effective and highly rated hair detox products and complement each other perfectly.
If you’re wondering how to pass a hair drug test in 24 hours or less, there are two structured detox routines – the Macujo Method, and the Jerry G Method. They both do a great job of rinsing out the toxins from your hair, but not without risks. Though highly effective for drug tests, these methods can irreversibly damage your hair.
We strongly advise that you avoid any unverified products and DIY methods as they’re not only ineffective but can be detrimental to your health.